Swim England Rainbow Stroke Awards
They offer swimmers a further challenge after they have attained the Swim England Rainbow Distance Awards.
Covering front crawl, breaststroke, backstroke and butterfly at five, 10, 15, 20, 25, 50 and 100m, the Swim England Rainbow Stroke Awards have been graded to offer your child achievable steps to help develop technique while having fun.
- Body position: horizontal, streamlined, close to surface, in alignment.
- Legs: in line with body, close to surface kick as necessary to ensure above.
- Arms: entry under control, thumb and finger entry, between head and shoulder line, pull/push within body width, continuous action, close to body plane.
- Breathing: to side, head in line, regular, confident, exhale in water.
- Timing: rhythmic action, regular and consistent breathing pattern.
- Turns: unhesitating, fast somersault, push to full stretch, turn onto front after push off, pull with one arm into stroke.
- Finish: fast, one hand touch, aggressive, hold breath on approach.
- Body position: horizontal, close to surface, in alignment, head steady.
- Legs: alternating kick, just breaking surface, holding alignment.
- Arms: shoulder line entry with straight arm, pull/push as close to body as possible, release past hip, vertical recovery, no pause in action, regular.
- Regain an upright position from the front without support
- Timing: continuity of arm action, rhythmic.
- Turns: use of flags where possible. Confident, unhesitating roll onto front, check orientation.
- Fast somersault, push and stretch off wall, kick then pull with one arm into stroke.
- Finish: confident fast finish, on back, at full stretch, one hand touch.
At the end of the Learn to Swim Awards 1-7, Stage 3 your child should be able to:
- Body position: stretched, streamlined position, head kept steady. Hips just below surface, toes pointed.
- Legs: heels draw up toward seat, feet pointing out for kick. Kick accelerating round to straighten in one sweep.
- Arms: from stretch, hands sweep out (never past shoulders). Hands and elbows sweep in at speed towards hips. Hands push forward to streamlined full stretch.
- Breathing: to front, shoulders square. Normally every stroke lift head as arms press down.
- Timing: pull and breathe. As arms extend forwards, legs drive backward. Pull, breathe, kick, glide.
- Turns: touch according to Law. Fast tuck and rocking action. Stay low. Push, glide and stroke (as for start).
- Finish: In stretch position, according to Law.
- Body position: close to surface, undulating – initiated from the hips. Legs kick from hips. Drive feet down forcefully, toes pointed.
- Arms: entry in front in line with shoulders. Hands scull out then under body. Release at or past hips. Recovery totally over water.
- Breathing: to front or side. Head down before arms enter. Head up before hands release.
- Timing: Kick as hands enter. Kick as hands push. Continuous action (no glide).
- Turns: as breaststroke up to push off. After push kick in stretch. One pull smoothly into stroke.
- Finish: in stretch position, according to Law.